Strawbery Banke Museum
is located at Visitors Center 14 Hancock Street.
The property includes forty structures located within the boundaries of Court
Street on the north, Washington
Street to the west, Marcy Street to the east, and Hancock Street to
Built around 1762, the Chase House was the home of Stephen Chase, a prominent
merchant whose family entertained President George Washington here in 1789. It
later became the for Children, a
precursor of the Cottage Hospital. Chase
The Conant House is named for Aaron Conant, a stagecoach driver whose family lived here from 1834-1859.
This modest home was a rental property owned by Leonard Cotton, a prosperous Portsmouth merchant.
William Cotton, the son of Leonard Cotton, moved a small utility shed here and converted it to another Cotton tenant house.
Originally located on
Islington Street, the
dates from 1811 and became the home of retired sea captain Ichabod Goodwin and
his family in 1832. Governor Goodwin led the state of Goodwin Mansion New Hampshire from 1859-1861.
Thomas Hough was a ship's carpenter who lived in the Hough House from 1851-1896.
This modest home was built around 1800 by the Jackson family of Portsmouth, who had owned this lot since 1695.
Joshua Jones, a farmer and laborer, lived in this large house from 1796-1843.
A prosperous Portsmouth merchant named James Drisco built this home as a rental property in 1810. His widow sold the house to Peter Lowd, a barrel-maker, in 1824.
After Walter Abbott died in 1938, widow Bertha Abbott single-handedly ran a small grocery and sundries store here during the tough years of World War II.
Judge Samuel Penhallow constructed this building around 1750 to serve as his home and courtroom.
This large home was originally built around 1790 as a workshop or store by Reuben Shapley, a wealthy mariner, merchant, and shipbuilder.
Samuel Jackson, who also built the Jackson House, constructed the Rider-Wood House between 1780 and 1800.
Abraham and Shiva Shapiro, one of the first Jewish families in Portsmouth, lived in this home from 1909-1928.
A mariner named John Shapley, brother of Reuben Shapley, built this home in 1794 and sold it to another mariner, James Drisco, five years later.
The Sherburnes, one of the oldest families in Portsmouth, built this home circa 1695-1702. When Strawbery Banke Museum purchased the building in 1964, it had been converted to a typical suburban home of the period.
Built by Colonel James Stoodley in 1761, the tavern hosted African slave auctions in the 1760s, and American patriots often gathered here at the time of the American Revolution.
Captain Keyran Walsh purchased this home in 1797 and died at sea ten years later.
John Wheelwright served as a 2nd Lieutenant on the USS Raleigh during the Revolutionary War.
Originally named the Earl of Halifax tavern, local patriots pressured John Stavers to rename his establishment in 1777. He chose to name it for William Pitt, a former British Prime Minister who was sympathetic to the American Independence movement.
Timothy Winn III and his brother-in-law, Thales Yeaton, built these connected houses in 1795.
Thales Yeaton rented this home to local workers, including Michael Walsh, a sawyer who lived here around 1850.